Pages

12.23.2009

the holidays

It's the eve of Christmas eve and I find myself not so excited about the holidays this year.

For one, my Dad has to work on Christmas Day. He is a firefighter/paramedic and he works 24 hrs. on and 48hrs. off. It just so happens that this year his 24 hrs. on is on Christmas. His schedule hasn't worked out like that in about 6 years, and I don't like it!

I remember Christmas morning when I was a kid. I would always wake up insanely early and wait for him to get home from his shift at the firehouse. He usually got home around 9am so my mom had to placate me with a gift to open. It was never a good one, or the really big one that I was dying to open, but it was something to keep me from bouncing off the walls. But this year we are doing Christmas on Christmas Eve morning....ugh! It's just not the same. I've never understood the why some people open all their presents on Christmas eve. What do you do on Christmas day?

Me and my mom have come up with a plan to spend the entirety of Christmas day at the movies. We're going to do a double, possibly a triple, feature. We want to see It's Complicated, the new one with Meryl Streep, and Sherlock Holmes, with Jude Law (yum!!). We might also see Up In The Air, it's gotten such amazing reviews, and who doesn't want to stare at George Clooney for 2 hours.

On a side note I am typing this while watching Footloose. And guess what! They are at the part where Kevin Bacon tries to teach his friend to dance.....the BEST part! Oh man was that kid rhythmically challenged! Let's hear it for the boy! Let's give the boy a hand! I digress...

On a second side note...I am sitting at my brand new homemade desk! When I moved back from school I really wanted a place to put my laptop. I had a desk in my room at school and I lack that piece of furniture in my room at home. I just recently re-designed my room and I was looking for just the perfect desk. Have you ever tried to find a cute, rather well priced, desk? If you have you know it's kind of a difficult job. They were all sooooo expensive! I blame it on my good taste. I always pick out the most expensive piece of jewelry in the store! My dad saw that I couldn't find what I wanted so he suggested he build me a desk. I wasn't sure that it would come out the way I wanted but he assured me that it would be perfect. We made the trek to Home Depot and got all the pieces and parts. It's really cute! All that is left to do is sand it an paint it. I'll post pictures as soon as it's done! I already love it!

No comments: